Hear those two magical words, and it’s a good bet that images of the park’s 17 breathtaking coasters, with their steep hills and sharp turns taking riders on exhilarating flights, come to mind. But if you’re not a coaster enthusiast – or you’re a young coaster fan in training that isn’t quite tall enough for the big rides – you might be surprised to discover there’s still plenty to do at the place voted “Best Amusement Park in the World” for the past 16 straight years.
With two new family-friendly rides and a revamped Gemini Midway, Cedar Point amusement park/resort in Sandusky, Ohio, is doubling down on fun for the whole family in 2014. This year, Cedar Point unveiled Pipe Scream – a twisting and spinning adventure being called “the best of a roller coaster and flat ride in one” – and Lake Erie Eagles – an update of a swinging classic that lets riders guide their own flight 28 feet in the air.
Overall, the park now boasts more than 150 rides, shows and attractions to provide memories for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re a mom who wants to go somewhere fun with the kids or a dad looking for someplace that’s budget-friendly and easy to get to, Cedar Point will help families reconnect and have their best day of the summer.
Top 10 Tips for Families Visiting Cedar Point
Is there anything more difficult than planning the perfect family vacation? Tell us if this sounds like you: You are traveling with an energetic toddler, a tween who thinks she’s cooler than all of you and a teenager who is always on his phone. Mom wants to go someplace fun for the kids, but someplace where she can relax too. Dad wants someplace that’s budget-friendly and easy to get to. Sounds daunting, right? Well it doesn’t have to be! A vacation getaway to Cedar Point amusement park/resort in Sandusky, Ohio, not only meets all of the above needs, but it will help families reconnect and have their “best day” of the summer. To help you plan the ultimate vacation, here are 10 tips for families visiting Cedar Point.
1. Save time. Cedar Point has more than 150 rides, shows and attractions, plus an enormous waterpark and a pristine beach along Lake Erie. That’s a lot to take on in a day or two. Check out a map of the park at cedarpoint.com and make a list of the rides, shows and places you don’t want to miss. For the ultimate Cedar Point experience upgrade to Fast Lane wristband which will allow you to bypass the regular lines on more than 20 rides or Fast Lane Plus which allows you to enjoy all of the Fast Lane attractions PLUS, unlimited rides on GateKeeper, Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster! A very limited number are available each day so be sure to buy yours today online!
2. Save money. Cedar Point offers a variety of ways to save money on your vacation. Purchasing tickets online is the best way to kick-start your savings. You’ll keep an extra $40 in your wallet just by buying tickets for a family of four at cedarpoint.com, rather than at the gate. That’s enough to cover a full tank of gas for your trip! Other money-saving options: Purchasing group tickets through your office or business, purchasing multi-day tickets that include admission to Soak City waterpark, and by checking your local AAA or credit union for discounted tickets. New this year are special money-saving meal deals!
3. Get the ultimate Cedar Point experience. The absolute best way to save money and time is to stay at a Cedar Point Resort property. Cedar Point offers three resort hotels, an indoor waterpark/resort, two marinas, a luxury RV facility and more than 100 cottages and cabins located right along Lake Erie. Plus you can get the best rates on admission tickets to the park, and as guests at any Cedar Point Resort you will also get Early Entry, which allows them into the park a full one-hour before the park opens to the general public.
4. Take turns. Cedar Point knows parents like to have fun, too. To make it easy for mom and dad to both ride what they want, they offer the Parent Swap program. Here’s how it works: one parent waits in line to a coaster or other height-restricted ride. After riding, they give their Parent Swap pass to the ride operator. Then, the other parent/guardian, who’s been taking care of the little ones, can walk up to the exit to get right on the ride. Talk about a time-saver!
5. Take a break for baby. Cedar Point offers two Family Care Centers in the park. Our Family Care Centers are convenient and comfortable locations for parents with young children. Both air-conditioned locations feature baby changing areas, private nursing stations and infant-feeding areas, equipped with high chairs and rocking chairs. Bottles may also be warmed at any major restaurant in the park. Our Family Care Centers are also First Aid stations which offer over-the-counter medications, bandages and emergency care if needed. Private, roomy family restrooms with changing stations can also be found at a variety of locations around the park, including at both Family Care Centers.
6. Be safe. Cedar Point offers guests a service to quickly reunite separated children and parents with cell phones. Guests can sign up for KidTrack, a service that gives each child a wristband with their parents’ or guardians’ phone number written on the inside of the band. If the child should become separated from their parent or guardian, they can go to any park employee who will call the cell phone number and wait with the child until they are reunited with their parent or guardian.
7. Meet the coolest dog on the planet. Who wouldn’t love a hug from the one and only Snoopy? Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus and everyone’s favorite beagle, Snoopy, are some of the most popular cartoon characters of all time, and you can see them at Cedar Point. There’s even a Snoopy-themed ice skating show!
8. Grab a bite to eat. Children’s meals are available at a variety of locations around the park. Natural fruit juices and milk are also available throughout the park. Do you have someone in your family with a food allergy? No problem! Cedar Point offers guests a wide variety of food options to choose from. Cedar Point offers gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free foods upon request. A list of locations and special dietary needs can be found online at: cedarpoint.com/plan-a-visit/special-dietary-needs .
9. My kids are too small to enjoy an amusement park. Nothing could be further from the truth. Cedar Point offers more than 150 rides, shows and attractions, so there are endless possibilities for kids of all ages. Cedar Point also has three huge children’s areas, including Planet Snoopy, where you can fly into space with everyone’s favorite pup and enjoy rides right alongside your kids. Other great stops for kids include Kiddy Kingdom and Camp Snoopy, which features the Woodstock Express fun-sized coaster. Here you’ll find another great first coaster for kids – Wilderness Run.
10. Forgotten items. Packing for a family vacation can be a little stressful (understatement) and you may forget something. That’s not a problem when you visit Cedar Point. Single and double strollers are available to rent. Miscellaneous baby supplies, such as baby oil, infant clothing and disposable diapers along with additional items, including sunscreen, hats, clothing, etc. are also available.
Plan your Cedar Point visit today at cedarpoint.com – Be sure and check back next month and read about the Nightwire staffs personal experience and reviews of the top thrill rides at the “Best Amusement Park in the World” – Cedar Point!!