San Antonio – The Alamo
Originally named Mission San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo served as home to missionaries and their Indian converts for nearly seventy years. Construction began on the present site in 1724. In 1793, Spanish officials secularized San Antonio’s five missions and distributed their lands to remaining Indian residents. These men and women continued to farm the fields, once the mission’s but now their own, and participated in the growing community of San Antonio.
While the facts surrounding the siege of the Alamo continue to be debated, there is no doubt about what the battle has come to symbolize. People worldwide continue to remember the Alamo as a heroic struggle against impossible odds — a place where men made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. For this reason, the Alamo remains hallowed ground and the Shrine of Texas Liberty.
More than 2.5 million people a year visit the 4.2-acre complex known worldwide as “The Alamo.” Most come to see the old mission where a small band of Texans held out for thirteen days against the Centralist army of General Antonio López de Santa Anna. Although the Alamo fell in the early morning hours of March 6, 1836, the death of the Alamo Defenders has come to symbolize courage and sacrifice for the cause of Liberty. The memories of James Bowie, David Crockett, and William B. Travis are as powerful today as when the Texan Army under Sam Houston shouted “Remember the Alamo!” as it routed Santa Anna at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas have managed the Alamo since 1905. Located on Alamo Plaza in downtown San Antonio, Texas, the Alamo represents nearly 300 years of history. Three buildings – the Shrine, Long Barrack Museum and Gift Museum – house exhibits on the Texas Revolution and Texas History. Visitors are welcome to stroll through the beautiful Alamo Gardens. Just a short distance from the River Walk, the Alamo is a “must see” for all who come to San Antonio. An interesting fact- rock star Phil Collins owns the largest private collection of Alamo relics, some of which are on loan to the Alamo where he reportedly visits a few times a year.
The Alamo is open every day of the year except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Our hours are 9:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday through Saturday and 10:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. on Sunday. To accommodate more visitors, the Alamo will remain open on Fridays and Saturdays until 7 P.M. during the months of June, July and August. Admission to the Alamo is free. Read all about the Alamo and the historic battle at www.thealamo.org